Frequent flier client comes in with older kitty with a swollen face. Kitty has had no vaccines, is an outdoor kitty, and apparently has decided her ear is attacking her so she is trying to scratch it off. I anesthetize the kitty, take about 1.3 pounds of pus out of her face and tackle the problem with the ear. She has been scratching at it for four days and succeeded in shredding the ear. I try to look into it with an otoscope, not going to happen. Poke around and OH! MAGGOTS. Yep, maggots are inhabiting her ear from the abscess on the side of her face. There are over 30 of the squirmy, noisy creatures that like to crunch on necrotic (rotting) flesh for dinner. No wonder the cat was attacking her own ear since the maggots were eating it! So I proceed to extract many maggots, clean the ear and send the cat home with specific instructions to keep her inside for a while so she can heal. Meanwhile, I try not to vomit or imagine maggots in my own ear.
No comments:
Post a Comment