Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Interesting Case Week 2

This call came in after going into the clinic 4 times Labor Day morning already:

Caller (11am):  I've been camping in **** and all of a sudden my dog is lethargic and won't get up!!! (she was screaming at me)
 Me: Okay, is she having any trouble breathing?
Caller: I don't know, how do I tell?
Me: Is she breathing?
Caller: Of course she is, she's staring at me, why aren't you helping me?
Me: Did she get into any kind of poisons or foods?
Caller: No of course not, we've had our eye on her the whole time.
Me:  Okay, just bring her down to the clinic and we will check her out

After about 25 minutes and many phone calls for directions, they finally get there.  The dog is urinating all over herself, eyes dilated, swaying, and very lethargic.  I do my initial exam, she is bradycardic (slow heart rate) and lethargic but otherwise doing alright.

Me: Is there ANY way that she could have had marijuana?
Clients (looking at eachother):  That's bad for dogs?
Me: *blank stare* Yes it is very bad for dogs since they are much smaller than us
Clients: Oh.... well... maybe, you know, maybe one of our neighboring campsites had some and she got into it.
Me: Look, I don't care if you had marijuana, I just need to know if your dog ate it so we can treat her
Clients: I think you should just treat her like she ate it
Me: Okay.
Clients: Why is she licking the table so much?
Me: She is stoned out of her mind.

End of story, the dog was perfectly fine but please people, keep your pot away from your animals, they don't do well with it!

No comments:

Post a Comment